2010년 4월 7일 수요일

Rock Climbing and Goodbye Daniel Teacher




We've had an eventful past week or two. Two weekends ago, we went to archary on Sunday. It is free for a couple hours every weekend and they have all the gear for you to use. When we started, I didn't like it much cuz I hit the side of my arm a few times. By the end, I enjoyed it a lot and got a lot better. On our last few shots, I got mostly in the bulleye...granted, we were only 10 meters away, but still...

This past week, one of our closer friends in Korea (and coworker) left to go back to Utah. We had a big teachers dinner for him one night, then went out to a bar the next night where he was playing music. We didn't like to see him leave, but he may be coming back in a few months.

This past weekend, we had our first rock climbing lesson. On Saturday, we met at the climbing gym at 5:30 and got a ride to where we were camping that night and climbing the next day. When we got there, it was a bit awkward as we were the only two who didn't speak Korea in about 50 people. We stood around until our other foreign friends got there, then played a bit of cards and waited until dinner was ready. After dinner, we had song practice, where we were (and still are) required to yell out Korean songs that we have no idea what they're saying. We instead make up lyrics or sounds...hahaha, it's interesting. But for this week, we had someone write out two of the songs in English letters (romanized Korean), so we are trying to memorize that.

We went to bed around 11pm, while many of the men stayed up drinking heavily until after 1am. Everyone was up again at 530am to go for a run and do other exercises...the physical part wasn't too bad, but not fun to do at 6am! When we finished, we had about an hour to break down camp and eat breakfast (rice and soup).

We were climbing on a 60-80 degree slab rock. It was a lot of flat hands and feet pushing up, as opposed to holds and pulling up. We were there until 4pm and got 3-4 climbs in, as well as staying on top for awhile and doing some skills things. We had to do some thing called a body belay, in which we had to wrap a rope around our back and hold with two hands in the front, while the biggest guy in the club (not big at all to US standards) climbed up, then yelled "anchor!" and fell, and we had to hold him up...wow, it was so tough. He did it a bunch of times, and by the last, I had tears in my eyes and didn't think I could do it any more. Luckily, it was when he decided I had passed the test.

Climbing was fun, but very tough on the feet, wearing new climbing shoes that are made to be extrememly tight for you.

We go again this Saturday and camp and do it all over again, but this time with a vertical wall. I'm looking forward to it, but hopefully won't be so sore the next day..I think it can be avoiding if we don't so the body belays again. I never want to do that again in my life!

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기