2009년 12월 6일 일요일

A bit of travel




Two weekends ago, Jared and I traveled to the original capital city of Korea, Gyeongju. We visited a park that had about 15 temples with gold Buddhas inside and people praying. It was pretty interesting to see. We then spent a day walking around a park that held tombs of old kings or important people. They were big mounds that were scattered all over the city, but there was a high concentration in one park we walked through. We then checked out a few other touristy things, like the oldest remaining star observatory in Asia, as well as another temple. It was a good, but a very cold weekend. We took tons of pictures and I will try to post some.

Last weekend we were planning on going hiking with a Korean friend, but I got very sick and spent all weekend (literally) in bed. It was horrible...it started Friday at school and by Monday morning, I was feeling healthy enough to go back to school (thank goodness). :)

This weekend, on Friday we went to dinner with another couple and a Korean friend. We had the most delicious BBQ, some mec-ju (beer), and soju (cheap alcohol). We went out to play pool after dinner and ended up having a great night. The next morning, the two other girls and I (Hannah and Kasham) made plans to go to a spa. We met at 10:30 and spent a few hours frolicking in hot tubs with about 50 naked Korean women. It was, at the very least, very interesting. We then got a massage from older women who were just wearing bras and underwear. It ended up to be more of a painful experience than anything. They out on these exfoliating gloves and rub your whole body right until til point of drawing blood. It was gross to see how much skin they rubbed off. They also did a rough face massage and packed our faces with this cucumber gel stuff. After the painful exfoliation, we got short massages from these women standing and walking and putting their knees into our backs. At times it was uncomfortable to be naked among all these people, but it is very common and normal here in Korea. I doubt I will get another "massage" again here, but I do feel clean now, and the tubs were pretty amazing.

After the spa, we met the boys (Jared and Daniel, who we work with), got Chinese food, and came to our house to watch Twilight. Hannah hadn't seen it yet and we all wanted to remember it before seeing New Moon that night. We spent a couple hours shopping before getting dinner (cheesy chicken spicy rice), then went to see New Moon. We all pretty much loved it, although Jared and Daniel were not as enthusiastic as us girls....

Today was filled with school work. We have portfolios for each student due in 2 weeks. We have to have 10 pieces of graded work, as well at a comment page, and cover sheet for each student. We have 12 classes with up to 13 kids in each class. Basically it's going to be a ton of work for us. I worked on them all day and added to the one I have finished already, I have four classes completed. Jared is about halfway finished with his first class. I think it may be a stressful two weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well. The weather is cold here now...maybe in the 40s, but we are missing the snow. Hopefully everyone is making up for us not being able to ski.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기